Belmore Court & Motel was the first Motel in Ireland and was the brainchild of Raymond McCartney who previously owned the Killyhevlin Hotel, Enniskillen and Lough Erne Hotel in Kesh. After travelling extensively with his family in America he saw the benefit of an accommodation base central to bars, restaurants and attractions. In 1989 he purchased the row of houses known as Wickham Drive and started converting them into self-contained Motel bedrooms.
A “Hotel,” according to Merriam-Webster, originated in the year 1765 and comes from a French word for an establishment that provides lodging, meals and other services. “Motel” came along much later, in 1925, according to Merriam-Webster. It blends the words “motor” and “hotel” and is meant to describe an establishment that provides some, but not necessarily all of the services associated with a hotel.
A Motel is more of a limited-service Hotel and doesn’t have a bar or restaurant although most have a breakfast room. Many of the rooms are located on the ground floor and be accessed easily from parking outside the room. Motels employ a comparatively small number of employees, typically receptionists and housekeepers. We are registered as four-star Guest Accommodation with Tourism Northern Ireland and The AA.
Here are a few facts about motels:
- Motels tend to be confined to locations close to roads and highways, often outside of cities but along popular tourist routes.
- They are typically designed for short stays.
- A continental breakfast is not offered, but they may have a quick, basic breakfast with foods like hard-boiled eggs, bread and cereal. (Belmore Court offers a full hot & cold buffet!)
- Motels can be the cheapest places to stay near popular destinations.
When should I book a motel instead of a hotel?
There are a number of situations where it makes more sense to select a motel instead of a hotel, such as:
- If you’re looking for the best value and don’t care about property amenities (like a fitness center or room service), motels can be cheaper.
- If you’re on a road trip, motels are a convenient option because they can give you a cheap place to get some shut eye after a long day of driving.
- Belmore Court offers a fantastic location- placed right in the centre of Enniskillen.
Check out our https://www.motel.co.uk/close-by
Our central location in the heart of The Fermanagh Lakelands is the perfect base to discover the many things to do and see nearby. Known as Northern Ireland’s Lake District, with an amazing abundance of lakes, waterways and a vast haven of natural spaces, where the slow pace of life seems to make quality time last longer.
Our Standard Self-Contained Rooms in Enniskillen are located in the 1950’s motel terrace adjacent to the reception block that has been tastefully converted into quality one and two-bedroom units.
Quaint and stylish, the Motel offers guests something a little different but of course, with the use of the facilities of the Belmore Court, Enniskillen. Truly a unique place to stay!
Book your stay now at https://www.motel.co.uk